In a clinical psychology PhD program you learn to apply psychology to the analysis, research and treatment of severe mental health disorders, such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. There are many theories and approaches to clinical psychology, but it began in 1896 with the work of Lightner Witmer on learning disabilities. Other psychologists followed with their own theories and treatments of educational and other psychological disturbances, e.g., Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Alfred Adler. Degree programs may vary slightly as to the content and specializations offered, depending on the research interests of the faculty.
This page provides further details of the programs, where they can be found, the career prospects after completion, and more. You will need to have a masters degree before taking a doctorate. Click here to find out more about masters programs in clinical psychology.
What are the career prospects with a clinical psychology PhD?
Accredited online psychology degrees provide many career opportunities in private sector, e.g., marketing, personnel management. There are also many positions in the public sector, e.g., in teaching, social and community work, mental health care in hospitals, clinics and schools.
The number of positions in this area is growing. The American Psychological Association says that psychology is the third fastest-growing field in America requiring a college degree. For the best jobs you really need a doctorate in clinical psychology.
Salaries are high among for top jobs clinical psychology. To a great extent it depends on your specialization in your clinical psychology PhD. In the US, in forensic clinical psychology the average salary is about US$71,000 (PayScales.com).
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2014 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Implements a one-to-one teaching model, partnering one student with one faculty member in each course.
- 100% of faculty members hold doctoral degrees.
- No physical residency requirements, allowing students to pursue their degree online.
- Committed to innovation, diversity, excellence, and accountability since its founding in 1996.
- Offers several programs in business, education, psychology, and more.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- PhD - Psychology
- PhD - Addiction Psychology
- PsyD - School Psychology
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Clinical Psychology (PsyD)
- School Psychology - Certification program (PsyD)
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. Business Psychology, I/O Track
- And more...
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - General Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Social Psychology
- And more...
- Doctor of Psychology
Give your career a boost with Adler University. Our psychology and counseling programs include one of the nation’s largest and best-known art therapy programs.
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
Grow, lead, succeed - with an online graduate degree
Keiser University Graduate School provides student-centered, quality career education that enables you to make an immediate contribution to your profession. For over 35 years, Keiser University's commitment to excellence has led to success for our graduates. Our unique combination of a strong curriculum rich in relevant courses for today’s workforce and our students-first approach provides an outstanding academic experience. Become part of a caring, learning environment, whether online or on campus, led by experienced faculty who bring you real-world challenges and solutions.
- Psychology, PhD