Taking an organizational psychology PhD is a good step towards a rewarding career. The role of a psychologist in an organization is to create a positive working environment, and to assist in maintaining harmony and good working relationships. It is a career that is challenging, but also very interesting and rewarding, especially for someone with a relevant PhD.
Organizational psychology doctoral programs are very popular with graduate students. Many students who are unable to attend on-campus classes take distance learning programs instead. This page will help you to find out more about this career and to locate suitable programs, especially university online programs.
What do you study in an organizational psychology PhD program?
You must first have a master’s degree before you can study a PhD – go to the masters in organizational psychology page for more details of these programs, or find out more about organizational psychology at all levels (including associate and bachelor levels).
As an organizational psychologist, you deal with people in a number of business settings. Your role is to improve the work place environments and workplace communications; to help groups function effectively; and, to facilitate negotiations, problem solving and group cohesion. So in an industrial organizational psychology doctorate program you learn about adult, social, and group psychology. You will also learn how to examine the culture of a given organization and evaluate the effect it has on the business, and how to create work environments conducive to better performance. You would also cover some of the following: communication, advanced testing, statistical and research methodology, team building, motivational, analysis and evaluation, leadership, and critical thinking.
What are the prospects for graduates?
The federal Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that the fastest growing profession through to 2022 in the United States is Industrial-Organizational Psychology. The profession is expected to increase dramatically, by 53%, which puts it ahead of various health care jobs (with health predicted to be the fastest-growing sector).
With a PhD industrial psychology or PhD organizational psychology, you can choose a career in human resources, work in executive search firms, be a research consultant, or teach in universities. Salaries are high among some of the jobs, but vary widely depending on the job type, geographical location, company size, education level and experience. For example, as an HR Manager with 5-9 years experience, you would earn over US$57,000 per annum (PayScale.com). Some other job titles to look for are: Senior Research Consultant, Human Resources Consultant and Employee Relations Manager.
List of industrial psychology schools and programs
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form on the right to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Organizational Psychology - Forensic Consulting
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Organizational Psychology - Consulting Psychology
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Organizational Psychology - Organizational Diversity and Social Change
- And more...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- PhD - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- PhD - Psychology
- PhD - Addiction Psychology
- And more...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- Doctor of Psychology, Organizational Diversity Specialization
- Doctor of Psychology, Criminology and Justice Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- Doctor of Mgmt in Org Leadership
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- DBA in Human Resources
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- School Psychology - Certification program (PsyD)
- Online Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology
- And more...
- Specialized, industry-current knowledge and skills for goal-oriented professionals.
- Curricula based upon complex, real-world situations that can challenge you to organize, research and solve problems.
- Innovative programs designed to help you maximize your current knowledge and fast track the pace of your achievements.
- Supportive community of students, educators, mentors and successful professionals ready to welcome you. Are You In?
- Doctor of Management - Organizational Development and Change (Executive Format)
A degree from CTU can connect you to a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree, you hit the ground sprinting. That’s the power of in. Are you in?
- Denver - Doctor of Management - Organizational Development and Change