Taking an organizational psychology PhD is a good step towards a rewarding career. The role of a psychologist in an organization is to create a positive working environment, and to assist in maintaining harmony and good working relationships. It is a career that is challenging, but also very interesting and rewarding, especially for someone with a relevant PhD.
Organizational psychology doctoral programs are very popular with graduate students. Many students who are unable to attend on-campus classes take distance learning programs instead. This page will help you to find out more about this career and to locate suitable programs, especially university online programs.
What do you study in an organizational psychology PhD program?
You must first have a master’s degree before you can study a PhD – go to the masters in organizational psychology page for more details of these programs, or find out more about organizational psychology at all levels (including associate and bachelor levels).
As an organizational psychologist, you deal with people in a number of business settings. Your role is to improve the work place environments and workplace communications; to help groups function effectively; and, to facilitate negotiations, problem solving and group cohesion. So in an industrial organizational psychology doctorate program you learn about adult, social, and group psychology. You will also learn how to examine the culture of a given organization and evaluate the effect it has on the business, and how to create work environments conducive to better performance. You would also cover some of the following: communication, advanced testing, statistical and research methodology, team building, motivational, analysis and evaluation, leadership, and critical thinking.
What are the prospects for graduates?
The federal Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that the fastest growing profession through to 2022 in the United States is Industrial-Organizational Psychology. The profession is expected to increase dramatically, by 53%, which puts it ahead of various health care jobs (with health predicted to be the fastest-growing sector).
With a PhD industrial psychology or PhD organizational psychology, you can choose a career in human resources, work in executive search firms, be a research consultant, or teach in universities. Salaries are high among some of the jobs, but vary widely depending on the job type, geographical location, company size, education level and experience. For example, as an HR Manager with 5-9 years experience, you would earn over US$57,000 per annum (PayScale.com). Some other job titles to look for are: Senior Research Consultant, Human Resources Consultant and Employee Relations Manager.
List of industrial psychology schools and programs
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- PhD - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- PhD - Psychology
- DSW - Social Work
- And more...
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- Doctor of Mgmt in Org Leadership
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities & social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- DBA in Human Resources
- Online Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology
- And more...
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Organizational Psychology - General Practice
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Organizational Psychology - Leadership Development and Coaching
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Organizational Psychology - Forensic Consulting
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management - Organizational Development and Change (Executive Format)